Re: [ARSCLIST] Field Recording Formats

At 01:33 PM 2/18/2004 -0500, Matthew Barton wrote:
Does anyone out there have suggestions for a dependable field recording
format? Here at the Folklife Center, we're getting more and more queries
about this. In recent years most audio fieldwork has been done on cassette
or DAT, and even though both of those formats have a limited future, they
have a large user base and may be preferable for the short run while the
market decides just what will be available. That said, a lot of people are
rushing to buy items such as portable CD recorders and Marantz's flashcard
recorder, moves that they may live to regret. Still others are using
Minidisc recorders. One growing and intriguing possibility is laptop hard
drive recording, which can be accomplished with various combinations of
gear, but would seem to cost almost as much as a non-portable digital
audio workstation.

Any suggestions or useful tales from the field would be appreciated. Thanks!

Isn't "field recording" rather a broad term? I do not believe the best answer to capture speech unobtrusively would be ideal for an amplified musical performance. On the simplest level, the availability of a power socket and the time between interrupts would certainly be factors.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/