Re: [ARSCLIST] Field Recording Formats

Matthew,

Funny, I just had a long conversation on this very topic yesterday.

Currently we use MiniDisc and DAT, but we view MiniDisc as an interim
format until something better comes along.  I'm banking that "something
better" is in the process of arriving in the form of solid state flash
recording, and in the next few years I hope to switch over to solid state
of some sort.  I have hesitated to adopt the Marantz unit at this point
because I'm waiting for memory prices to drop and for a reliable 24 bit
flash-based recorder to emerge.  The one I'm keeping tabs on now is the
Fostex FR-2.  Regarding the Marantz PMD670, I have only heard positive stuff.

On the cheaper end, the emerging potential in a low cost digital recording
system is Sony's new Hi-MD, but based on what I have read I already have a
few concerns about it, and there is no knowing how Hi-MD will actually pan
out at this point since it hasn't been released yet.

I've had a bad experience with a particular USB-based audio interface, so
if you are inclined to go that way I'd recommend avoiding the cheaper units.

I've also heard good reports of people using Creative Labs Nomad Jukeboxes
and other mp3 player/recorders, but I'm not apt to recommend them.

I've put together a webpage on field audio stuff that might address some of
your concerns:

http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org/res_audioequip.htm

andy

At 01:33 PM 02/18/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>  Does anyone out there have suggestions for a dependable field recording
>format? Here at the Folklife Center, we?re getting more and more queries
>about this. In recent years most audio fieldwork has been done on cassette
>or DAT, and even though both of those formats have a limited future, they
>have a large user base and may be preferable for the short run while the
>market decides just what will be available. That said, a lot of people are
>rushing to buy items such as portable CD recorders and Marantz?s flashcard
>recorder, moves that they may live to regret. Still others are using
>Minidisc recorders. One growing and intriguing possibility is laptop hard
>drive recording, which can be accomplished with various combinations of
>gear, but would seem to cost almost as much as a non-portable digital audio
>workstation.    appreciated. Thanks!   Matthew Barton
>American Folklife Center
>The Library of Congress
>101 Independence Ave., SE
>Washington, DC 20540-4610