Re: [ARSCLIST] re discogs and Arhoolie

At 04:53 PM 10/22/2003 -0700, you wrote:

Tom Diamant
Arhoolie Records
10341 San Pablo Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530
USA
510-525-7471
fax: 510-525-1204
email: tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.arhoolie.com

<snip>

It is my position, that large Universities and other large institutions need
to push for a realistic definition of fair use. If the UCLA Library has
something available on their system, why can't it be accessible at any
library in the UC system, or any associated library at any institution?

I agree with this in general. But would Arhoolie or other copyright holders want usage restricted to one user at a time unless a multiple user license were negotiated? I can see how record labels, book publishers and others would be distressed to sell ONE copy of a given work to the to something the size of the_entire_ UC system that was then shared everywhere.

As
long as it is accessible on computer terminals that only allow listening and
do not allow copying of the sound files in any manner (CD burners, email,
etc), what's the problem?

Count on at least some of the listening stations being PCs, not "terminals" and therefore easily hacked.

<big snip>

Enjoying the discussion,

Joel

Joel Bresler