Re: [ARSCLIST] re discogs and Arhoolie

> From: Joel Bresler <joel.br@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I agree with this in general. But would Arhoolie or other copyright holders
> want usage restricted to one user at a time unless a multiple user license
> were negotiated? I can see how record labels, book publishers and others
> would be distressed to sell ONE copy of a given work to the to something
> the size of the_entire_ UC system that was then shared everywhere.

 I don't care how many people are listening at one time. They don't get to
take it home they only get to listen. My concept is to have these in
Libraries or other such "controlled" places. Not peoples homes or offices.
It's different than a Library buying a CD and allowing people to take it out
of the Library.

> Count on at least some of the listening stations being PCs, not "terminals"
> and therefore easily hacked.

This is a thought in progress. You have to restrict it. As long as you have
it on an institution's computer you should be able to restrict copying via
either hardware or software. In order for an institution to have access to
the collection they would have to contractually agree to make copying as
impossible as possible.

It's one thing to go to a facility and sit at their computer and study, or
just enjoy music, and another to have it available in your home, car, ipod,
work etc. Now, if UCLA started streaming it into their cafeteria or at their
Library socials and dances, I would be probably be opposed to that, but
maybe not.

How about this. I would be ok with allowing 60 seconds of any tune available
totally free with no restrictions on the internet. Then you could have a
discography with one minute samples of each item. It's not the whole song
but it's a taste to give you and idea of what it is and will inspire those
who need to hear more to seek it out.

Or do we license all music ever made to a central database. They make it
available to everyone under different deals. A listening library pays a
yearly license fee, a consumer gets to download it for $?? a radio station
pays a different fee, and internet listener another and after 75 years it's
P.D. and free. (I currently like 75 years, 50 is too short and US law is
ridiculous!)

A reasonable solution needs to be worked out that protects the copyright
holder, musicians, song writers, publishers, etc, and gives fair use access
to the public. What I have suggested actually gives Arhoolie's music
exposure that could translate into sales.

Tom Diamant
Arhoolie Records
10341 San Pablo Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530