Re: [ARSCLIST] re discogs and Arhoolie

> From: David S Sager <dsag@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:40:00 -0400
> To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [ARSCLIST] re discogs and Arhoolie
>

>   Maybe"discography" is too casual a term for something all-inclusive like
this.

 Actually, we recently we've been referring to it as a digital encyclopedia
of music with the discography being one component of it.

>  How are you dealing with copyright issue

In terms of the copyrights issues, when we use it in house it's just a copy
of our collection so we feel no laws are broken.

Although it hasn't been finalized yet, I believe UCLA is at first going to
make it accessible only on their library computers. They are working on
expanding accessibility but have to deal with the University lawyers, so it
moves slowly. (I know they're listening so they might want to clarify)

It is my position, that large Universities and other large institutions need
to push for a realistic definition of fair use. If the UCLA Library has
something available on their system, why can't it be accessible at any
library in the UC system, or any associated library at any institution? As
long as it is accessible on computer terminals that only allow listening and
do not allow copying of the sound files in any manner (CD burners, email,
etc), what's the problem?

I know most librarians feel this way too.

I work for a record company (Arhoolie Records). We make money (or at least
try to) off our copyrights. I do not want people bootlegging our CDs, yet I
have no problem with the fair usage as I have described above.

Tom Diamant
Arhoolie Records
10341 San Pablo Ave.
El Cerrito, CA 94530