Re: [ARSCLIST] Dolby B in software

At 08:48 AM 4/19/2003 +0000, Don Cox wrote:

Dolby B is a two-band compressor. Not rocket science nowadays.

I do feel rather stupid then; perhaps my thirty or so years as a "rocket scientist" were misspent. Just don't tell MIT, NASA and TRW about it, please.

The problem is not the compressor but its dynamics. There are several
parameters of the compressor which I was unable to establish including
attack, release and anticipation (what CoolEdit calls "lookahead time").
The principle of operation is simple enough since "all" that Dolby B does
is frequency-sensitive compression. Even when we can agree on 185 nw/m and
that it is a single-band compressor (with no compression out of band), we
are still lacking critical parameters.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/