Re: [ARSCLIST] Dolby B in software

on 4/18/03 2:52 PM, Aaron Z Snyder at aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Has anybody ever written the Dolby encode/decode algorithm in Windows-based
> software?

I don't think Dolby Labs would be happy about that, nor would it be a
trivial matter to accomplish.

> The question arose when a friend of mine told me about some orphaned Dolby
> B-encoded tapes. These apparently are reel-to-reel and without calibration
> tones. Granted, without the calibration tone, decoding of the tapes would be
> pure guesswork. However, a computer-based program would at least allow
> non-real-time experimentation so that a plausible reference level could be
> established.

Dolby B was designed for use with audiocassettes. Dolby A was designed for
open reel tapes, and the hardware is available in the market. If you have
Dolby B open reel tapes they were probably created to dub cassettes.

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation
CD Mastering + Audio Restoration