Re: arsclist non-member questions about CD-Rs

At 09:27 AM 03/24/2002 -0600, John Spencer wrote:
  1. In light of Kodak s decision to discontinue marketing gold archival media, where will the community look for archival CD-R media with excellent keeping quality?
In discussing my decision with some people at NARAS (Grammy Grant folks) to use Mitsui Gold blanks, they were comfortable that I had thought through the process and did not have any alternative suggestions. We both chuckled at Mitsui's 300-year life expectancy claim, but wondered how their lawyers would let them say that if there was not at least some shard of evidence.

You do NOT get a second source with Quantegy as they re-brand Mitsuis.
  1. Which CD housing (sleeve or case) is the least reactive and most recommended for long-term storage of CDs.
We had this discussion here: The original jewel case was designed for maximum protection.
  1. Which labeling method is most recommended for Archival Master CDs?
None

You can record the disc's serial number on the jewel box or write some identifying marks inside the hub or at the outer perimeter using an approved CD-Marking pen. I use the TDK CD Marking Pens. Jerry Hartke suggested something else.

Don't toss the originals. In the case of the Jack Mullin tapes, at least for the 1944 vintage Magnetophonband Typ-L, I am considering the originals to be the analog backup. I'm less hopeful for the pre-1944 Typ-C which is a coated acetate. The Typ-L is a homogeneous PVC.

I believe that the Smithsonian is still making analog reel backups and are willing to pay for that for some projects. For cassettes, we came to the conclusion here when I asked to use full-track mono at 7.5 in/s and use two reels for longer cassettes.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                              richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Glendale, CA USA                           http://www.richardhess.com/
Web page: folk and church music, photography, and
                 broadcast engineering