Re: arsclist non-member questions about CD-Rs

At 11:30 AM 3/24/2002 -0800, Richard L. Hess wrote:
At 09:27 AM 03/24/2002 -0600, John Spencer wrote:
* In light of Kodak s decision to discontinue marketing gold archival media, where will the community look for archival CD-R media with excellent keeping quality?
In discussing my decision with some people at NARAS (Grammy Grant folks) to use Mitsui Gold blanks, they were comfortable that I had thought through the process and did not have any alternative suggestions. We both chuckled at Mitsui's 300-year life expectancy claim, but wondered how their lawyers would let them say that if there was not at least some shard of evidence.

Those claims are usually based on accelerated-life tests. I have seen no evidence that those tests have any validity, but no other scheme is available, so the claim may be made.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/