Re: arsclist non-member questions about CD-Rs

In discussing my decision with some people at NARAS (Grammy Grant folks) to use Mitsui Gold blanks, they were comfortable that I had thought through the process and did not have any alternative suggestions. We both chuckled at Mitsui's 300-year life expectancy claim, but wondered how their lawyers would let them say that if there was not at least some shard of evidence.

I have a copy of the Mitsui test report that makes the 300 year claim. If anybody wants to see it, let me know. As I remember, it was an average of 300 year LE on average, 145 year LE with 95% confidence. But anyway, the whole point of the Mitsui study was that Phthalocyanine media outlasts Cyanine media, not that it lasts forever.

David

David Seubert, Curator
Performing Arts Collection
Davidson Library Special Collections