Re: arsclist A to D Transfer Advice Please

At 02:31 PM 2/27/2002 -0800, I wrote:
The simplest setup I could possibly think of to do this with the utmost quality would be a Nakamichi Dragon connected directly to a Sony CDR-W33 recorder. Use an outboard dbx II processor when needed.

I probably should be a bit more specific about WHY my choice of equipment.

As far as I know, the Nakamichi Dragon (sadly discontinued in 1992, but still repairable by Nak authorized factory service), is the ONLY cassette machine that automatically adjusts playback azimuth. It is absolutely amazing to hear one of these work--it locks in the imaging and of course fixes the frequency response. I have NEVER heard cassettes sound better.

While I am not doubting that the Tascam 122 MKIII is a superb machine, it lacks the automagic play azimuth feature. I was unconvinced and indeed even skeptical about how well this feature could work. Well, after transferring a few cassettes with it, I am just BLOWN AWAY. This deck sold for at least $2500 new. They're going between $500 and $1000 by and large on eBay. Condition will vary--be prepared to pay $300 for a refurbishment--but if you want reproduction of cassettes that you can't believe, invest in a Dragon.

Oh, and it pushes the pressure pads out of the way.

It is an auto-reverse deck, but the play head is FOUR channels--when it reverses, it switches channels and redoes the azimuth. It only records forward, not reverse.

As to the CDR-W33 it has great converters, optional SBM if you want it, and uses data discs. It also has some DSP built in that I've never used, but in the above-described setup MIGHT be useful for certain applications. No fuss, no muss.

Of course you could ingest the Dragon output into your computer and work on it there, but if you want throughput, I think the two machines and one stereo RCA cord (add dbx II and second stereo RCA cord as required) can't be beat.

Cheers,

Richard