Pellon and thoughts on baking

I hate it when a message I meant to post privately gets bounced and then posted by the listmom...oh well, my stupidity for not checking the TO and CC fields. It was my fault and it's good to get the information out there.

pellon (a thin stiff white fabric found in craft and fabric stores) (as found on the Web)...

To be totally fair, Jim Lindner is a much more experienced person than I in dealing with tape problems, although I'll confess to being resourceful and obtaining good results. We philosophically disagree on the superiority of the two processes:

Lindner is horrified at the thought of baking. He tries to avoid it at all costs.

I, on the other hand, am greatly concerned about wiping tapes until all the goo is off because I see the stuff on the wipes as containing oxide in now-scrambled orientations that used to contain the signal I'm trying to get off the tape.

In one double-blind test, Lindner found that about 60% of the listeners (not much above the 50% random chance) (if I correctly recall his telling me on the noisy floor of the recent NAB show) found some deficiencies in the low frequencies of baked tapes as compared with wiped tapes. Now, I don't know how you can do double-blind tests of this with precisely the same material without copying and the copying process itself (especially at 15 and even more so at 30 ips) introduces substantial low frequency anomalies due to "head bump" phenomena. So I am not sure if Lindner's reported double blind test is hearing the restoration process or some anomaly in the copying process.

As to baking, there have been some reports of a 1dB loss of the highest frequencies. I have baked one set of tapes twice and on the second baking reproduced them on a superior machine as opposed to the one after the first baking. The tapes sounded better after the second baking on the superior machine, so the machine difference is more than the difference in baking--an IMPORTANT point to remember.

My comparison of machines was between a ReVox A77 and a Sony APR5003V. In my mind, the APR is one of the five best machines ever made, the others being the Studer A820, the Ampex ATR-100, the Ampex MR-70 (if you want tube), and the Nagra T. The ReVox A77 was a competent low-end machine that worked as well as many other machines in its price range. If you've got high-end tapes, they deserved to be digitized from a high-end machine.

More than you asked...but it's all related!

Cheers,

Richard