IPS speed

I have many oral history tapes recorded at various speeds below 7.5.  As
far as I know, reel to reel machines today do not play at those speeds.
I do have two early 1970's machines that do, but very uneasy about using
them because of the poor quality.  What makes the speed possible the
motor that drives the reel at the desired speed or the magnetic head?
Is it possible to replace an old head with a new one on an old reel to
reel machine?  We would like to be able to transfer these in house.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Preston Everett
Mississippi Department of Archives and History