CD-DA versus CD-R

Thank you to all who responded to this question.

Here are the responses I recieved.

jp

Jean-Pierre Fouche

Librarian
ILAM
(International Library of African Music )
Tel: 27-46-6038557
Fax: 27-46-6224411
Email: J.Fouche@xxxxxxxx

Jean-Pierre Fouche

Librarian
ILAM
(International Library of African Music )
Tel: 27-46-6038557
Fax: 27-46-6224411
Email: J.Fouche@xxxxxxxx
--- Begin Message ---
I'm sure you received many responses, but if not I would likely choose
audio CD, but I would make the recording with some of the newer equipment
that can sample at 24 bit, with 96kHz sample rate.  This will offer much
better fidelity for the future.

Best of luck, if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Gil Guerrero

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
M. Fouche,
Your question about recording a large archive was forwarded to a jazz list
where I read it.
I am no expert on recording, but am a computer professional a jazz musician
and an
avid listener to records.

You should really create something on CD which ULTIMATELY(!) can be turned
into the
Digital Audio format so that it can be played on normal CD players. However,
you can
stage this process by recording a single file to a CD, if you make sure that
your music
source retains appropriate and consistent gaps of silence between "tracks".
Then
you can use a program such as "Digital CD Recording Studio" by Macmillan
software
(http://www.macmillansoftware.com)
or Easy CD Creator (Pro version) to read the resulting large wav file (if
you have
memory large enough -- to divide it at the gaps and turn it into a set of
files (track)
which can then be written to audio CD.  -- Remember the latter can be used
on both
computers and normal CD players, so it is the ultimate desirable format.
Thus by
choosing to write one large wav file (if done right) you have NOT precluded
the
ultimately desirable form -- to be done by yourselves, or later by some
other interested
party.

Regards and " bon chance," - or something like that.
Craig I. Johnson
CIJ Associates, Computer ( Consulting in Java)
or CIJ (Cornets in Jazz) -- co-leader of Onion River Jass Band
--- Vermont, USA

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Jean-Pierre Fouche wrote:

> We are about to start digitising a large archive of traditional music.  We
> are interested primarily in preserving the music.  We have chosen CD's as
> the storage medium.
>
> However, we still have questions about the digital format.  SHould we use
> .wav (CD-Rom) or CD-DA, or both?  We would prefer to minimise the time
spent
> making cd's, otherwise we may never complete the job with the resources
> available.
>
> CD-Rom (.wav) requires only that we save a single file, not divided into
> tracks.  However, a CD-DA requires that we make individual tracks.
>
> CD-DA offers a larger distribution of players, whereas CD-Rom can only be
> played back on a PC.
>
> What is the answer here?

If playback compatability is of concern I would choose CD-DA.  Users can
play it not only in standard CD players but most computers as well.  As
far as the extra time to PQ code a disc, an experienced engineer with good
tools can do that in a matter of minutes.

**********************************
David Ackerman
Audio Preservation Engineer
Archive World Music
Harvard University
Cambridge, MA 02138

Telephone: 617-495-2794
Fax: 617-496-4636
e-mail: dackerm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**********************************

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
     Dear Jean-Pierre,
         Yes, we prefer "Orange Book" CD-Rs (which gets converted to "Red
     Book" once the table of contents is finalised). The way we do it is
     not to use a computer at all (except for printing the inlay cards and
     cataloguing the results). We use audio CD-R machines. This may imply a
     rehearsal to get necessities of life (like durations and "out cues",
     so we know when tracks end). Alternatively, we use the CD-RW format
     (Compact Disc Rewritable), which allows you to erase the previous
     track if something goes wrong without losing the whole thing. We
     thereupon "clone" the result, making (usually) two copies on two
     different makes of CD-R blanks to avoid "putting all our eggs in one
     basket", as we say in England! Many of our contractors use digital
     editors or Exabyte systems or other ways of "massaging the data"
     before burning the CD-R; but that's what we do here. You can always
     add another "track flag" by pushing a button as the tape plays (or
     whatever) without stopping; but it can only be done at x1 speed.
         Hope this answers your question,
     Peter