Re: arsclist CD-DA versus CD-Rom (.wav) for archiving

It has been my experience when determining the best access for archival
materials is to first determine who will be using the information and what
is the easiest form of access that can be provided to them. What
equipement are you providing your patrons to access the new medium?  Will
you circulate the new product? You're user population should be the
driving force in this.

As a musician, I would much prefer to have a CD with individual tracks.  I
would not want to stare at a blank computer while I listened to the
particular track that I wanted (however, if I had access to word
processing, etc. I could take notes while I listened. The same could
also be said about pencil, paper (regular and staff) and portable CD
player).

I also feel that CD-ROMs are at risk of being fazed out with the
availability of DVDs.  Note that I'm saying at risk of and not
going to, however, U.S. government CD-ROMs are already undergoing this
transition since more information can be stored on DVDs.  My experience
with DVDs also tells me they are easier to use than CD-ROMs.  If all
CD-ROM producers follow suit, how long will it be before our new computers
did not read CD-ROMs but only DVDs (just like 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppys).
CD-ROMs will probably  be around for decades still yet but these are the
things that would be going through my mind in making a decision.

Guy Frost
Government Documents Librarian
Reference Services/Government Documents
Odum Library, Depository 0125