CD-DA versus CD-Rom (.wav) for archiving

We are about to start digitising a large archive of traditional music.  We
are interested primarily in preserving the music.  We have chosen CD's as
the storage medium.

However, we still have questions about the digital format.  SHould we use
.wav (CD-Rom) or CD-DA, or both?  We would prefer to minimise the time spent
making cd's, otherwise we may never complete the job with the resources
available.

CD-Rom (.wav) requires only that we save a single file, not divided into
tracks.  However, a CD-DA requires that we make individual tracks.

CD-DA offers a larger distribution of players, whereas CD-Rom can only be
played back on a PC.

What is the answer here?

Jean-Pierre Fouche

Librarian
ILAM
(International Library of African Music )
Tel: 27-46-6038557
Fax: 27-46-6224411
Email: J.Fouche@xxxxxxxx