Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. The exterior juncture of the spine and covers of a (usually) case-bound book. Although the term "joint" is often used to indicate the internal juncture of the board paper and fly leaf of a book, the more appropriate term here is HINGE (1) . See also: CLOSED JOINT ;FRENCH JOINT ;LACING-IN ;SUPPORTED FRENCH JOINT . 2. The sections at the front and back of a blankbook, consisting of one plain and one waste sheet, connected by a strip of linen, buckram, or other relatively heavy material, and lined with a plain or marbled paper. The plain sheet is glued to the first (and last) leaf of the book and the waste leaves to the boards. 3. Any location at which two adherends are joined by a layer of adhesive. (83 , 209 , 335 )

[Search all CoOL documents]

URL: http://