Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 15:00:16 -0400
From: stillwaterstudio@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: new textile for historic aeroplane
To: TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Julia:

The suggestion to look at the Wright Experience is a good one, but unfortunately the fabric they had made was not actually successful.  In spite of careful specifications, the fabric had excess stretch in one direction (weft as I recall).  It did not conform smoothly to the frame of the aircraft.  Although I believe they had some successful test flights with that reproduction plane, it could not get off the ground for its maiden voyage.  I’ve been involved in several early fabric-covered airplane projects, and as far as I know no one has been able to have a satisfactory fabric made.

At one time one of our suppliers, I believe it was Testfabrics, stocked a fabric they called “airplane fabric”.  I had a sample of it, and it was a very nice quality, balanced plain weave cotton.  You might contact them to see if this is something they can still get.

“Dope” refers to the coating applied to some later fabric-covered planes; the early planes I’ve worked with were covered with cotton muslin without any coating.  The dope was something developed somewhat later to add water-resistance to the fabric.   I’ve never seen any linen-covered planes, and I would imagine linen would not have the dimensional stability needed.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful, but if you have other questions please don’t hesitate to contact me,

Deborah Bede

Stillwater Textile Conservation Studio, LLC

Bradford NH 03221

(603) 938-2310

(603) 938-2455 fax

stillwaterstudio@xxxxxxxxxxx