AW: Protecting tapestries in situ

We are currently dealing with a similar situation. To protect tapestries and other large objects that can’t be removed we did the following:

  1. Every object was covered with Tyvek. The edges of the excess Tyvek were rolled around wooden rods and stapled to the wall, ceiling and floor around the tapestries as tightly as possible. This was carried out by conservators.
  2. A rigid “house” was built around each object or each series of tapestries by a good handyman/carpenter under supervision. All joints were sealed against dust.
  3. A clima-insulating layer has been stapled to the inside or outside of these structures.

The building site is completely shut off from the rest of the “working” museum with dust inhibiting walls. We try to have a good relationship with the architect and discuss problems regularly. At this moment I can’t say how good the dust protection has worked but I am fairly optimistic. The more difficult matter is to reduce harm from sudden changes in the relative humidity that can’t be controlled properly during construction work.

Angelika Riley

Textile Cinservation

Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg

Steintorplatz