Re: lasers and flash

Title: Re: lasers and flash
on 2/8/05 2:21 PM, Jennifer Feik at FeikJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello,

 Recently in my museum a question has been raised about whether or not laser pointers and flash photography are harmful to historic textiles.  Does anyone know of any research, or have any experience in this area?

Thank you,

Jennifer Feik
Associate Registrar
Museum of Church History and Art
(801) 240-0297
feikj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
This message may contain confidential information, and is
intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it
is addressed.

Hello Jennifer.  I see others have responded concerning the laser pointer portion of your request so I will responed to the flash photography concern.

During my degree work at Queen's Univ. (now, many years ago)  one of our professors had studied this problem while with the Canadian Research Council.  Dr. Jim Hanlon's study proved conclusively that short term electronic flash photography poses no threat to art and artifacts.  His research findings hinged on the extremely short term duration of the flash as normally experienced using photographic equipment.  In essence, the energy spike experienced by the artifact surface was over before any energy level increase could be felt by the artifact.  In this case: "No harm, no foul".

I have had some lingering questions about  longer duration lighting such as the older single flashbulb types which were very energetic and in comparison to electronic flash guns, of very long duration.  I would carefully control the use of this type of equipment in galleries.

Modern photonic cleaning systems because of their enhanced energy levels and extremely long duration of irradiation are greatly dangerous to works of art but then these systems are not under consideration for allowing in museum galleries.

For the purposes of answering this question we are looking at consumer grade photographic flash equipment.  This should be perfectly safe in most museum and gallery settings where artifacts are actively on display.  This just happens to go "against the grain" of many museum professionals and interested parties.

There are other concerns museums and galleries should address when considering allowing flash photography.  Amongst these are showing the appropriate level of respect for an artifact or concerns with disruption or degradation of the viewing/visiting experience of others nearby.

Hope this helps your discussion.

Mark MacKenzie

--
Mark MacKenzie, M.A.C.
Conservator, Saskatchewan Western Development Museum