Re: Stabiltex

To: Jane Hammond, flag stabilization

From: List member with experience who
would also like to know if there is research
regarding the abrasiveness of Stabiltex or crepeline
as backing fabrics for historic textiles?

Question?  long-term effects of Stabiltex or crepeline
on the paint surface of a "back-painted" battle flag; the obverse
> painting appears backwards on the reverse side of the flag which
must be stabilized by a fabric support.
 The transparency of these two fabrics would
> allow the reverse image to remain visible in its conserved state.

The earlier solution as we know was netting.
I have removed quite alot....
The early cotton netting ( Bridal illusion) is quite soft compared to
what some versions of netting ,coarse sharp & scratchy... but larger
net. I have devised an explanation from the observance of these early
man-made fabrics.
As a fabric industry trained textile conservator who has studied
manufacturing processes with finishes, I prefer Stabiltex over
crepeline for the same reason I prefer fine net allusion / illusion
over poly net with a large open net.
The fabric is woven with a tighter weave struscture & it does not
require sizing or finishes to stabilize the material.
If you would like to test these.
Wash samples in milsd sudsy water & dry on a clothesline to see the
curl/ dry on a piece of blotter to see the sizing stains....
That is my test..
I do remember reading about sizing & finishes of these 2 but can not
tell you where maybe the Drycleaners Assoc..

My answer to your seam weld? DON"T just overlap with Stabiltex & hand
tack to secure the edges with small X's periodically.
I believe that a seam will get a fade or wear line eventually from
past repairs examination.

I have been working with flag displays at the War Memorial in
Indianapolis & believe that a slant is better that vertical beacause
of the light exposure.
I prefer muslin covers are attached above the frame & then it can be
occasionally covered even if short term rest.
If you want to discuss this more ,
email or call
Jennifer Hein
Preservation Consultant,
Historic Leather & Textiles Conservator,
Indianapolis, IN
jenniferhein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
1-866-575-9296 Toll free #