Stabiltex

Have any list members had experience with, or know of research regarding the
abrasiveness of Stabiltex or crepeline as backing fabrics for historic
textiles?  (I know research has provided information on various cotton
fabrics as mounting materials)

I am trying to determine the possible long-term effects of Stabiltex or
crepeline on the paint surface of a "back-painted" battle flag; the obverse
painting appears backwards on the reverse side of the flag which must be
stabilized by a fabric support.  The transparency of these two fabrics would
allow the reverse image to remain visible in its conserved state.

The flag is to be mounted on a fabric-covered strainer/stretcher and
displayed vertically under glazing.  I am concerned about the friction of
both types of fabrics against the silk and pigments. What about the nodes
produced by heat-welding Stabiltex seams?

Any comments or references would be appreciated.

Jane Hammond