Re: Photocopy onto fabric

It is possible that the "Xerox" on cotton you describe it a heat-set transfer
applied to cotton rather than an image printed directly onto the fabric
itself. If this is the case, then there is a plastic carrier from the
transfer paper adhered to the fabric, in addition to the copier pigments.

To my suprise, these early experiments with photo-transfer as surface designs
have held up very well, at least as far as color and the integrity of the
plastic are concerned.
(I did quite a lot of personal artwork in this media in the '70s)

Application to cotton produced a more matte finish, unlike the
often-preferred gloss of the transfer on a synthetic satin, usually acetate,
which did not age very well and has caused some yellowing of the images.

My experience with my own artwork is that images on cotton can be wet-cleaned
but I have never treated anything similar professionally and don't know of
any research on the subject.  I do have some old images that could be used
for testing if that would be of any help with your project.

Jane Hammond