Re: Fusible Interfacing.

At the Holocaust Museum we often see prisoner uniforms that were repaired
in the 60's with fusible interfacing. I use humidification to loosen the
grip of the interfacing and it usually works. Good luck!

                    Joanne Hackett
                    <jhackett@famsf.        To:     texcons <texcons@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    org>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Fusible Interfacing.
                    owner-texcons@si
                    msc.si.edu

                    07/26/01 05:13
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to texcons

Has anyone had any experience in removing fusible interfacing from
textiles?  I am looking at a small Trade Union Banner at the moment that
has been 'conserved' by placing fusible interfacing and large cotton
patches between the face and lining of the banner.  The whole thing was
then ironed.  The fusible interfacing is stuck to the underside of the
face and to the patches.  I can see the fusible interfacing in areas
where splits in the face have opened up again and it looks suspiciously
like a 'Stitch Witchery' type product.  I tentatively tried to apply
heat and then pry the layers apart with a thin spatula without much
success.  Acetone seems to release the facing a little but not very
convincingly.  Any Suggestions?  The face of the banner is painted with
what appears to be oil paint.

Joanne Hackett.