RE: Fusible Interfacing.

Although I have no experience with removing fusible interfacings from
artifacts, I can provide some information about the likely composition of the
adhesive. The polymers used most frequently on recent fusible interlinings
include polyethylene (HDPE and LDPE), polyamides (coPA), and polyesters
(coPES).  PVC, PVC/PVA blends and cellulose acetate have also been used in the
past.  Unfortunately, from a conservation perspective, these adhesives have
been chosen for their ability to withstand normal textile laundering and care
procedures.  I hope this is helpful in finding an approach to removing the
interfacing.

Irene Karsten

Doctoral Student in Textile Conservation
Department of Human Ecology
3-02 Human Ecology Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta