Re: Fusible Interfacing.

Joanne -

Identifying the fusible interface, then using solubility diagrams can be
helpful.  Earlier this year I identified what appeared to be intractable
adhesives on Civil War banner.  Two of the adhesives were epoxy resin (go
figure) and one was cellulose acetate.  Solubility tests confirmed
reported solubility data that epoxies swell in some solvents but are
insoluble, while the cellulose acetate could be dissolved in a range
of solvents, including acetone.  This information allowed the conservator
to remove the cellulose acetate using a suction apparatus.

Analyses and solubility testing may prove more useful to your banner,
given the presence of paint, which is another important factor to
consider.

Hope this information is useful.

Jamie

James Martin

Research Scientist in Chemistry
Williams College
james_martin.tripod.com/williams.htm

*** Please don't send e-mail attachments.  Cut-and-paste text into the
body of an e-mail message. ***