[PADG:924] Re: stamp pad marking inks

I've received several very helpful responses to my query about marking inks for special collections, which I'll summarize here for the list. Thank you to all who responded!

1. Patti Gibbons and Olivia Primanis alerted me that it is now possible for libraries and archives to get single bottles of Library of Congress marking ink direct from LC. This web page is helpful with information about their ink listed later down on the page: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/marking.html
You (if you are a library or similar institution) can request a free bottle by clicking on the "Ask A Librarian" button.

Patti reports that she hasn't encountered any problems with the ink, however, she did once read an alert that you need to consider:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/abbey/an/an20/an20-2/an20-210.html

2. Another response advises about using the actinic ink kits: this person cites experience using the Archival stamping kit from University Products, with the Balsa wood stamp pad and reports having had very little trouble with it. " You have to keep a close watch on the ink and replace it when it seems to separate."

3. A stamp-art enthusiast (who asked to remain anonymous) gave a wealth of information about inks sold for that purpose, which I'll quote:

"Your query to the PADG list was referred to me because I am a rubber stamper. Also, as Binding Unit Supervisor, I do have some knowledge of preservation and conservation issues.

I personally use the Jet Black Archival Ink made by Ranger Industries. It is a dye-based ink, and seems to be permanent and quite light-resistant, compared to some others. I also like its fast drying, non-smearing qualities. Pigments inks are slower drying, generally. I have noticed in my stamping that colored archival "permanent" inks often do not fare well over time with significant exposure to light. I have made some pieces using another brand (Memories) of archival blue ink, which faded drastically after a fairly short exposure to sunlight, and/or fluorescent light - perhaps six months or even less? I also used the Sepia Ranger Archival ink, and it faded fairly quickly under the fuorescent light here in my basement office. This would be with exposure for 9-10 hours per day, five days per week. Various other colored pigment inks have also faded. The Jet Black Archival by Ranger has held up quite well, however, with little or no fading under the same conditions. Some pieces have been here under the fluorescents for a few years, at least. Perhaps the Memories black would also do well - I have known other stampers to swear by it. All of my projects have been on paper, not fabric or hard surfaces.

I have also observed that the words "archival" and "permanent" seem to be thrown about rather indiscriminately in the rubber stamping/scrapbooking trades for various materials - adhesives, paper, and inks included.

There is a pretty good ink reference article in the magazine Expression, Jan/Feb 2006, pp. 58-61 "The Ultimate Ink Guide". It is a comparison chart of different stamping inks by brand name, and comparisons include whether inks are dye, pigment, waterproof/permanent, fade-resistant, acid-free/archival, non-toxic or solvent-based. Some inks need to be heat set for permanence, and it indicates this also. There is accompanying text which has general info about different types of inks, pigment vs. dye, which are best for porous and non-porous surfaces, etc. The issue is sold out, according to their web site, but they have a cd rom version available. It might still be available on the newstand,(Borders carries it) or you could try http://www.expressionartmagazine.com/ if you can't find it at the library, of course!

Also, see some of the websites for the ink companies for further info. Think these below cover the majors, each has several product lines.

www.rangerink.com     Archival
www.tsukineko.com      Versa--
www.stewartsuperior.com     Memories
www.clearsnap.com        Ancient Page

Thanks again to all who contributed to this post!

Shannon Zachary, Head, Preservation and Conservation
University Library
The University of Michigan
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048