[PADG:137] Re: Climate Control Systems

Mary Ellen and Annie:

Most commercially available climate control systems (such as the Liebert
units) are designed for computer rooms and laboratories.  Their primary
design function is to cool a room in which people and/or machines are
working. These systems can be "tweaked" to control humidity in a "no load"
empty archive, and also to work at cooler than normal temperatures, but this
is pushing their designed operating parameters.

Annie's suggestion of using (a few small) fans for air circulation may prove
very useful- a fan will distribute the increasing humidity load over many
more books; this uses their natural humidity buffering ability to spread the
moisture load amongst all the books. However, general moisture content will
increase and will eventually build up to dangerous levels, given time.

Turning the temperature up a few degrees in the summer may help lessen the
load on Annie's unit, while allowing the unit to maintain a (relatively)
consistent humidity level all year long. She might also check her vault for
leakage-even a little humid air infiltrating the chamber can create quite a
load for an already hard-working system.

The Microclimate Technologies MCG400 climate control unit has been designed
specifically for the conditions found in archives and museum storage rooms.
Many of the Annie mentions with her system have been taken into account in
the design of the MCG400. For example: The entire unit is located outside of
the archive room (for safety's sake, all fan and compressor motors are
located outside of the airstream.) In addition to a high-end electronic
sensor and digital readouts of humidity and temperature, the unit has a full
annunciator panel to indicate operating status and indicate problems in
system operation.  Each unit is built and customized for it's particular
application, and staff training is a normal part of our installation
procedure.

The MCG400 uses a unique tandem compressor design to provide extremely even
temperature and humidity control, as well as redundancy in the event of a
system failure.

Please feel free to contact me off list.

js
Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems / Microclimate Technologies International
Supplies and Solutions for Microclimate and Oxygen-free display and storage
www.keepsafe.ca    www.microclimate.ca   1 800 683-4696