From: Annie Armour [mailto:aarmour@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 5:48 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:135] Re: Climate Control Systems

Mary Ellen,

We have a Leibert in our Special Collections. Part of the unit is inside
the room itself (the rest outside), and it leaks a nasty black oily product
at times. It's also very ugly. It probably is a great machine that could be
cleverly disguised, but is not well maintained, and thus has problems. Is
your physical plant staff attentive to such things?

Not enough attention was paid to the air circulation patterns when it was
installed, so we still get mold in the room in some areas. The humidity
monitor was placed inside the air return, so does not always give accurate
readings. Before we had it, though, the humidity fluctuated every day the
same as the outside, which as you know, can be wild in Tennessee (I'm in
Sewanee). Our mold problems in that room can be kept in check with fans.
Just a couple of things you might want to watch.

I will say that whatever unit we got has a difficult time keeping very
strict control over humidity. It works with the least fluctuation when set
around 55% + or - 2%. Anything lower than that in summer stresses the
system so that it usually breaks down in the hottest, most humid part of
the season. I guess the jury is still out on whether or not larger (perhaps
much larger) seasonal fluctuations are acceptable for books. My own
unproved observations are that air circulation is more important than
either temperature or humidity.

My recommendation-get a LIBRARY environmental consultant (like Michael
Trinkley from Chicora) to come look over the situation before you decide
what to do. Regular engineers are attuned to the needs of people, not books.

Annie Armour
University of the South
Sewanee, TN