[PADG:133] Climate Control Systems

Dear Colleagues,

At the University of Tennessee, we are planning to renovate our rare books room to improve the environmental conditions. I have a couple of questions and am hoping some of you can offer advice and/or point me toward some good sources of information.

We are looking at climate control systems, such as a Liebert system. Have any of you been involved in the installation of such a system? If so, do you have any suggestions for the installation process, and can you make any recommendations for specific systems or vendors?

We are also looking at lighting. We currently have fluorescent bulbs with no filters. Obviously, we need filters, but my colleagues here have asked about switching to incandescent bulbs. Is there any reason we should replace the fluorescent lights with incandescent? Also, can anyone recommend a good source for UV filters for fluorescent bulbs?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Starmer
Preservation Coordinator