[PADG:2279] RE: sewn on endsheets from commercial binder?

We feel that near brittle books should be cut and fanned as a rule...even extending far backward in imprint. We use a Tim Moore vertical plow for precise control. Sewn books are a composite of tipped folios and stitched folios and the attachments between given leaves vary greatly...too much inconsistancy of attachment for near brittle papers.

In house we prefer an unsewn, four leaf, end. The hinge or flange is not introduced into the text but adhered across the back. The doubled folios are not seated together but tipped together capturing the flange between. Stitches can be added through the inner folio fold with piercing through the cambric lining...if you want a sewn end.