[PADG:2281] Re: sewn on endsheets from commercial binder?

Most often our commercial binder doesn't sew on endsheets for recases.
Every so often we'll get one of these items sent to us where the
text-block has come loose from the case.  Although, this is fairly
simple to repair or to resend to the bindery.  In the past our binder
had sometimes whip-stitched on the endsheets, & I have seen even
non-brittle pages break along the sewing.

We've also been successful in using the Z client interface between our
Voyager ILS & LARS to process monographs.  The Head of our Binding
Section has said it works great.  Here we are able to scan a LCCN
barcode located on the verso of the title page to import the
bibliographic information, but you can select from other MARC fields as
well.

-werner

Werner Haun
Collections Conservator
Head of Collections Care Section
BCCD, LM G-19
Library of Congress
Washington, DC  20540-4522

voice: 202-707-6579
fax: 202-707-3434
email: whau@xxxxxxx

>>> drewes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/16/2004 5:14:58 PM >>>
My apologies for not be more specific about my query on sewing on
endsheets.  Inhouse we also sew on endsheets just as most of the replies
suggest, but I am interested in knowing if anyone's commercial binder
sews on endsheets for recases. Thanks in advance for responses.

Jeanne Drewes
Assistant Director for Access & Preservation
Michigan State University Libraries
100 Library Room W-108A
East Lansing, MI 48824-1048

517 4326123 ext. 147  FAX 517 432 1010