[PADG:2278] RE: sewn on endsheets from commercial binder?

In some ways that is a tougher question.  Because of cost factors, libraries want to send as many things as possible to the binder rather than recasing them in-house, but we also want to save sewing when possible.  There are some strongly sewn newer books that do fine with hinged on endsheets.  There are others (usually older materials) with weaker paper that should have their endsheets sewn on.  I think a good binder should offer both-even if they charge extra for the sewing.  However, I think the libraries have to know when not to send something to the bindery that is too weak to handle binding.  Or when to send it to the binder's conservation facility (if they have one).

At the University of Kansas, we have been working with a binder we trust for many years and we have a fully functioning conservation unit, and we still struggle with what to send out for recasing by the binder, and what to treat in-house.  People in my shop can't even agree on when to save the sewing and when to have it chopped and adhesive bound.  So lets hope someone else on the list has a definitive answer they can share with us all.  :)

Brian Baird

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brian J. Baird
Preservation Librarian
University of Kansas
134 Watson Library