separately and you minimize risk of damage.  Opens up whole new vistas of
cataloging as well.

- Walter Cybulski
NLM>>> drewes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/03/02 01:19PM
>>>Randy Silverman gave a wonderful presentation about the value of
historicdust jackets at AIC, I think 2 years ago.  He found that the
value of dustjackets was well worth the cost of keeping them.  I
think  he was able tochange the policy of discards, at least that is
what I remember him saying.Randy,  are you out there?  please tell
the whole story.  jeanne drewes-----Original
Message-----From: Julian Stam [<A
href="mailto:stam@xxxxxx]";>mailto:stam@xxxxxx]Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002
12:22 PMTo: padg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [PADG:1678] Re: Dust
jacketsThis is an issue that has bothered me for a long time.
The primary reasons I usually hear are:1) It is too expensive to
provide mylar covers.  2) Cheaper alternatives usually involve
adhesives and damage the jackets anyway.  They are also time consuming
to apply.3) Without protection dust jackets get lost and damaged.
4) Finally, and most cited, call numbers and bar-codes are either
obscured by the jacket or, if you put them on the jacket, get
lost.In responding to faculty, I have always focused on the
differences in mission between general and special collections, then
discussed the complications that arise in trying to keep the jackets in
circulating collections.I have toyed with the idea of clipping out the
bottom of the spine in order to reveal the call number and retain the
jacket, (our bar-codes are on the inner back cover so they aren't an
issue) but haven't acted on that impulse yet. I would love to hear if any
others have any retention policy or ideas for dust jackets.Julian
StamOn Fri, 03 May 2002 11:41:46 -0400 Beth Picknally Camden
<bp2f@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> I have had a question from a
faculty member wanting to know why academic > libraries don't keep dust
jackets on books.  I can make a good argument > about expense of
mylar covers, etc.   However, I was wondering--what isthe >
history of this practice?   Is there a preservation argument for
removing > them?> >
-Beth>***************************************************************************************>
Beth Picknally Camden

Voice:  (434)924-7791> Director, Cataloging
Services

Fax:  (434)982-4579> Alderman Library

Internet:bpcamden@xxxxxxxxxxxx> P.O. Box 400108<A
href="http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bp2f";>http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bp2f>
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4108> An eye for an eye makes the whole world
blind. -- Mahatma
Julian Stam
__________________________________Preservation ManagerBoston
College, O'Neill LibraryChestnut Hill, MA
02467-3810PHONE:617-552-1404   FAX:
552-0599www.bc.edu\libraries.html