From: Julian Stam [mailto:stam@xxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 12:22 PM
To: padg@xxxxxxx
Subject: [PADG:1678] Re: Dust jackets

This is an issue that has bothered me for a long time.

The primary reasons I usually hear are:
1) It is too expensive to provide mylar covers.
2) Cheaper alternatives usually involve adhesives and
damage the jackets anyway.  They are also time consuming to
apply.
3) Without protection dust jackets get lost and damaged.
4) Finally, and most cited, call numbers and bar-codes are
either obscured by the jacket or, if you put them on the
jacket, get lost.

In responding to faculty, I have always focused on the
differences in mission between general and special
collections, then discussed the complications that arise in
trying to keep the jackets in circulating collections.

I have toyed with the idea of clipping out the bottom of
the spine in order to reveal the call number and retain the
jacket, (our bar-codes are on the inner back cover so they
aren't an issue) but haven't acted on that impulse yet. I
would love to hear if any others have any retention policy
or ideas for dust jackets.

Julian Stam

***********
> Beth Picknally Camden    	                              Voice:  (434)
924-7791
> Director, Cataloging Services    	                    Fax:  (434)
982-4579
bpcamden@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bp2f
> Charlottesville, VA 22904-4108
> An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Julian Stam
Preservation Manager
Boston College, O'Neill Library
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-3810