[PADG:1677] Dust jackets

I have had a question from a faculty member wanting to know why academic
libraries don't keep dust jackets on books.  I can make a good argument
about expense of mylar covers, etc.   However, I was wondering--what is the
history of this practice?   Is there a preservation argument for removing
them?

	-Beth
Beth Picknally Camden    	                              Voice:  (434) 924-7791
Director, Cataloging Services    	                    Fax:  (434) 982-4579
Alderman Library 		              Internet:  bpcamden@xxxxxxxxxxxx
P.O. Box 400108 		          http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bp2f
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4108
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. -- Mahatma Gandhi