[PADG:1643] RE: Newspapers Digitization Redux

Cool!  Thanks for the additional posting.

I think you'll find the Florida Dispatch example is exactly what you want.
The Florida Center for Library Automation systems are based on highly
modified IBM digital library code at present.

You'll also find on the full-text test page link a Page turning test or
something like that ...
This example use books but also works for newspapers ... It utilizes the
XPAT software distributed by the Univ. of Michigan DLXS (Digital Library
Extension Service) ... the software behind MOA at UM for the most part.

I think you'll find that these systems, which tend to offer page images of
static size are not optimal for the users of the product as regards
readability. PDF views in both systems offer alternate zoom solutions, but
file size is a problem; and, in XPAT, there's no ability to page from PDF to
PDF.  We're (PALMM is ... the Florida Center for Library Automation is)
working on that problem (and we may end up giving the code to UM for
incorporation into their distribution product.

I don't think anyone outside of the University of Florida has considered
moving the DjVu system into "production".
We (PALMM) is coming to accept that a solution is use of XPAT with DjVu page
display ... relying on DjVu's internal navigation systems once a single page
is opened.  We're in the process of acquiring the LizardTech Content Server
as to move away from requiring the browser plug-in.  It will likely be
several months yet before we can demonstrate the hybrid.

Erich

Erich J. Kesse
Director, Digital Library Center
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
P.O. Box 117007
200 Smathers Library
Gainesville, FL   32611-7007

E-Mail: kesse@xxxxxxx
Tel: (+1) 352.846.0129
FAX: (+1) 352.846.3702

My other key interest is discovering whether any such digitizing newspapers
were scanned in color, grayscale, or black and white.  Thank you.

Robert

  At 08:28 AM 4/5/02 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:10 AM 4/5/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>I do have another newspaper question, however.  Has anyone digitized bound
>>or unbound newspapers (or do you know of someone who has)?  If so, is this
>>work available on the web?  I am referring here to digitizing the actual
>>newspaper rather than a microfilm of it.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Robert
>
>Hi Robert,
>
>Try this link for the New York Times digitization.
>http://www.proquest.com
>Try the digitized vault first
>Kopana
>
>Kopana Terry
>University of Kentucky
>Reprographics Department
>110A M. I. King Library South
>Lexington, KY 40506-3329
>859-257-3329
>Fax: 859-257-3388
>klterr0@xxxxxxx
>
>"Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did.
>    She just did it backwards and in high heels!"
>

>--- Linda Ellerbee
>
>"The University of Kentucky is accredited by the Commission on Colleges
>of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane,
>Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097: Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award
>undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees."

Robert J. Milevski
Preservation Librarian &
Manager, Typography Studio
Princeton University Library