[PADG:1416] RE: Pyrethrum - effect on books

According to the Canadian Conservation Institute's Technical Bulletin #15,
"Solving Museum Insect problems: Chemical Control" (1992), pyrethrum is used
as a contact insecticide used as a pressurized spray, dust, oil solution or
microencapsulated. Contact insecticides must come into contact with the
insect to be effective (this is not going to work if the insects are inside
library materials or have not hatched yet!).  Reactivity with materials is
unknown, but there is a possiblity of effects from solvents in the
formulation and CCI recomends that artifacts not come into contact with
insecticides containing pyrethrins or pyrethroids.  "Pyrethrins are often
combined with synergists ... to increase their effectiveness. Although
quick-acting and providing a rapid knock-down of insects, pyrethrins do not
always kill all the insects that are knocked down ...[so] they are often
combined with more residual insecticides."   This Bulletin has lots of
useful information and can be order from CCI:
http://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/frameset_e.shtml.

I suggest speaking to Tom Strang at the CCI (613-998-3721) about pest
control options for libraries/archives, and also checking out the pest
management section of Conservation On-Line
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/pest/.  Information about the
residual effects of pesticides will most likely be found in the museum
literature - books are pretty much just textiles, leather, and cellulose!

Good luck,
Ala Rekrut
Chief, Preservation Services
Provincial Archives of Manitoba