Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:12:02 -0700
From: Gail Nichols <gmnichols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Nancy Kushigian <njkushigian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [PADG:1297] ILL Stickers (fwd)

We have received these stickers from Virginia Tech.  They are produced by
the Illiad Interlibrary Loan software.  When we received the first one, I
personally sent an email to ILL at Virginia Tech telling them not to use
them on our books.  When we received the second one back from Virginia Tech,
we stopped loaning books to them, and told them why we would no longer loan
to them.  A year ago Illiad was sold to OCLC, and the product is becoming
more used.  I suspect that more institutions than we know are using them,
but removing them before sending books back to the lending library.  It
would be very helpful if the preservation folks would make some noise about
this practice; little libraries (that don't have long term preservation
concerns) don't understand why this is a bad practice.

Here is a web site listing current users of Illiad
(http://www.illiad.oclc.org/users/index.stm).  There are a number of ARL
users, but of course it's not possible to know for sure who uses the labels
as part of their process.
--Gail