[PADG:1065] Re: ILL Labels

>My ILL office is now using removable (adhesive) labels on books
>borrowed from other institutions for interlibraryb loan.

>From a preservation point of view, all adhesives are bad. Here at
Swarthmore, I never use any sort of tape on book or journal.  Any
adhesive could leave some kind of residue, and I don't think all libraries
would think to tell all their ILL clients not to use an adhesive label.

We also use the bands that wrap around the covers.  And on that we
attach a barcode.

I realize I may sound a bit zealous, but my motto is "tape is bad",
and I'm not that zealous about preservation! ( I just checked with ILL
here, they never thought anyone would use any kind of sticky substance
on a book, we may now revise our slip to say no paper clips or adhesive
stickers)

Gretchen

Gretchen Fulforth Stroh
Materials Processing & Preservation Assistant
McCabe Library, Swarthmore College
500 College Ave, Swarthmore PA 19081
gstroh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When faced with uncertaintity, there is always hope!