[PADG:946] Re: fire suppression systems

3/13/00

Don,

>From the articles I've read recently, it seems as if the wet pipe is the preferred system. Like you, I have my worries about overhead wet pipes in collection areas but the failure rate is reported to be almost non-existent. Not so with the 3 types of dry pipes systems: deluge, sealed sprinkler head, and preaction. For a cautionary tale re: dry pipe systems see some advice from the always erudite Doug Nishimura on CoOL at:

also of interest is:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/waac/wn/wn15/wn15-2/wn15-209.html

Recommended reading for all. Hope this helps,

Richard Peek
Head, Preservation Department
University of Rochester Libraries
Rochester, NY 14627-0055
(716) 275-9285

>>> dthomp@xxxxxxx 03/10/00 12:58PM >>>
Dear PADG,

As part of a seismic retrofit to our 1932 main library building, we plan to
install a sprinkler system throughout the building. The library
administration wants a dry pipe system, but the Los Angeles Fire
Department's standards calls for a wet pipe system throughout most of the
stacks.

What is the latest thinking about these two options? I would appreciate
references to documented research as well as anecdotal experiences from any
of you who have recently been through a similar project.

Thanks much, Don

Don Thompson
Archivist, Arts Center Libraries
University Information Services