[PADG:939] Re: fire suppression systems

I'd highly recommend a series of articles by Nick Artim in the WAAC
Newsletter (May 1993, September 1994, May 1995, and September 1995). The
Western Association for Art Conservation Newsletter is available online
at: <http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/wacc/>

In these articles Mr. Artim provides an excellent summary of fire
suppressant systems and analyzes the pros & cons from the point of view of
caring for museum/library collections.

The main arguments FOR wet pipe systems over others are:
1) the fire suppressant (water) is effective, cheap, will continue to be
readily available
2) wet pipe systems are cheapest to install and easiest to maintain; they
offer the least opportunity for mechanical failure, especially in
situations where money or organization for maintenance is less than
optimal
3) a wet book can be salvaged; a burnt book can not. Remember that only
the sprinkler head at a hot spot deploys, not the whole system at once,
dousing a fire before it can spread.

The other system that has shown some promise for library applications is a
water mist system. Report at a preconference sponsored by the American
Institute for Conservation in June 1998 was that the water mist systems
had at that point only been approved for use in ship-board engine
rooms--there were still some problems with systems for other applications.
I don't have more recent info on this issue.

Shannon Zachary, Head			E-mail:	szachary@xxxxxxxxx
Conservation Services			Phone:	734/763-6980
University of Michigan Library		Fax:	734/763-7886
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048