[PADG:943] RE: fire suppression systems

We have a wet pipe system in our stacks for two main reasons:  budget and
ease of maintenance.  We have a very uneven quality of maintenance from
General Services.  Since there are other factors to detailed to go into
here, I believe it was the lower cost of a wet pipe system that cinched the
decision.

We used the more expensive flow control heads from Grinnell and installed
them in only in the stack areas.  These sprinkler heads cut off the flow of
water when the temperature drops, reducing the water damage in fires.
Grinnell F927 sprinkler heads are  the only flow control heads on the market
at this time, but they have a history of leaks in cold weather.  At this
point, the manufacturer cannot duplicate the problem in the lab.  Therefore,
they cannot identify the problem and redesign the sprinkler heads.  We had
one head failure in an unusual spell of cold weather in SC.

For more information on this problem, you might contact Bill Lull, a
consultant who is dealing with several clients on this issue.
Pat Morris
SC Dept. of Archives & History