barcodes

When I was at UT Austin General Libraries, Circulation decided to place one
barcode on the outside back cover near the head of the book.  The placement
decision was made by committee, with Preservation representation included.
The decision was made largely to accomodate future plans for a self
check-out system in most of the 14 branch libraries on campus.  A couple of
the branches opted out of the barcode placement on the back cover, and
decided to continue with the placement on the inside top front pastedown.
I know aesthetics was one consideration in the opting out, but I am
uncertain what other factors branch heads were taking into account.  Of
course, every exception to the rule is that much more time consuming for
staff performing shelf prep/end processing functions.

Cathy Aster
Head of Preservation Services
Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305
phone: (650) 723-2132
fax: (650) 723-9852