RE: Fumigation

The filters will help in trapping the spores on the surface, but will still
leave the substrate (roots if you will) intact. These can then come back to
life if the conditions are ripe, ie. temperature and humidity. The same can
also happen with fumigated books. Without proper environmental control, all
other efforts are more or less futile over the long run.

Peter

At 04:57 PM 2/18/98 -0500, you wrote:
>We have had an ongoing problem with mold in our Library. After extensive
>testing of the moldy books after two methods of cleaning (vacuuming with
>a brush vs. vacuuming with brush _and_ cleaning with ethanol & lysol
>sprayed where necessary), no differences were found no matter what
>method was used. We now use a small portable vacuum, fitted with a HEPA
>filter to remove mold from books. This prevents the mold spores from
>being spewed back out into the work area. The vacuum is available in
>various conservation catalogs, cost is around $125-$150. Let me know if
>you need more information.
>Good luck!
>
>Laurel S. Wolfson

Der Buchbinder als Architekt des Buches baut eine
Fassade seiner Zeit. Edwin Redslob

Peter D. Verheyen
mailto:pdverhey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey