RE: Fumigation

We have had an ongoing problem with mold in our Library. After extensive
testing of the moldy books after two methods of cleaning (vacuuming with
a brush vs. vacuuming with brush _and_ cleaning with ethanol & lysol
sprayed where necessary), no differences were found no matter what
method was used. We now use a small portable vacuum, fitted with a HEPA
filter to remove mold from books. This prevents the mold spores from
being spewed back out into the work area. The vacuum is available in
various conservation catalogs, cost is around $125-$150. Let me know if
you need more information.
Good luck!

Laurel S. Wolfson
Associate Librarian for Systems and Automation
Klau Library
Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion
3101 Clifton Ave.
Cincinnati, OH  45220-2488
phone: (513) 221-1875 ext. 274
fax: (513) 221-0519