pressure-sensitive labels within the textblock

Dear colleagues:

  Occasionally, in looking for new efficiences, we re-examine our Se-lin
labeling operation for monographs and serials.

  My query to you relates to a discussion we may have here soon about using
pressure-sensitive foil-back labels not only on the spines and covers of
newly-processed books, but also within the textblock.

  Using pressure-sensitive label stock and an automated labeling operation,
duplicate (2) call number labels can produced during processing:  one for
the spine or cover, and one to affix within the textblock.   As you would
guess, the purpose of this labeling-within-the-textblock approach removes
the need to "pencil-in" call number information during processing.

  I would appreciate any practices you'd care to share, or research that
you've undertaken regarding affixing foil-backed labels on paper within the
text block.
Specifically, WHERE within the textblock is such a label placed (title page,
verso of t.p., last page of text, flyleaf, etc.)?

  As you might guess, I am not eager to adhere labels to pages within the
textblock of volumes.  However, it's always a good idea to question one's
assumptions (so one doesn't appear to be a mere obstructionist at times) and
to gain insight from others such as yourselves.  ;-)

  If you would post your responses to me (boomgaarden.1@xxxxxxx), I'll
summarize and post for PADG@xxxxxx

  Many thanks.

  Wes