Re: pressure-sensitive labels within the textblock

Wes.

In November 1996, we also went through the same process here of reviewing
whether or not there was a single labeling system we could use that would
meet our requirements for an outside spine label, and for an inside
"check-in" or title-page label.  I did post a query to PADG at that time.
Unfortunately, our query to colleagues was more focused on Se-lin spine
label options but we did ask for anyone's experience with foil-backed labels
for spines in particular.  In summarizing my notes, I see that folks were
not happy with the adhesion of foil-backed labels on book spines.  (I see
that Yale was also looking for a dual purpose labeling system a few years
back, and has referred to some more serious investigation).  Our conclusion
was to stay with Se-lin for the spine label.  Since we rejected them for
spines we didn't give serious thought to their use on inside places.  Our
general feeling was that they were a bit thick and stiff for (at least)
internal monograph pages.

Just this week, we (Serials actually) started producing a "check-in" label
for serials.  This is being applied to the front cover of unbound serials.
Although we tried to suggest something preservation minded, we actually gave
up.  Serials has been putting "off-the-shelf" type Avery labels on the front
cover of serials for many years and saw this as a change only from
handwritten to an automatically produced label.  These labels are printed on
a SEIKO Smart Label printer which is offered in the current Gaylord catalog.
The advantage is that a printer can be placed on each staff person's desk.
Unfortunately the label stock is not any of their "archival" permaplus
types.  Perhaps Gaylord will eventually provide more choices in label stock.
So, we have moved away from thinking of a dual purpose label set.  Probably
because of a variety of reasons:  our online system, our insistence that
they could not use foil-backed labels for spine labels, because of workflow
routines, or just timing.

Sherry

At 09:45 AM 11/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues:
>
>  Occasionally, in looking for new efficiences, we re-examine our Se-lin
>labeling operation for monographs and serials.
>
>  My query to you relates to a discussion we may have here soon about using
>pressure-sensitive foil-back labels not only on the spines and covers of
>newly-processed books, but also within the textblock.
>
>  Using pressure-sensitive label stock and an automated labeling operation,
>duplicate (2) call number labels can produced during processing:  one for
>the spine or cover, and one to affix within the textblock.   As you would
>guess, the purpose of this labeling-within-the-textblock approach removes
>the need to "pencil-in" call number information during processing.
>
>  I would appreciate any practices you'd care to share, or research that
>you've undertaken regarding affixing foil-backed labels on paper within the
>text block.
>Specifically, WHERE within the textblock is such a label placed (title page,
>verso of t.p., last page of text, flyleaf, etc.)?
>
>  As you might guess, I am not eager to adhere labels to pages within the
>textblock of volumes.  However, it's always a good idea to question one's
>assumptions (so one doesn't appear to be a mere obstructionist at times) and
>to gain insight from others such as yourselves.  ;-)
>
>  If you would post your responses to me (boomgaarden.1@xxxxxxx), I'll
>summarize and post for PADG@xxxxxx
>
>  Many thanks.
>

>  Wes