Re: Book cleaning project

Lorraine Olley has asked about stacks cleaning projects.

I've just written a short article on this subject, which will appear in
the forthcoming Archival Products News (newsletter of Archival
Products/Library Binding Service); I'm not sure of the exact publication
date expected.

>> 1. I'm especially interested in methods used to build enthusiasm among
staff for very dirty work.<<

We take care never to pretend the job is anything other than it is: hard
work, dirty, and repetitive. We try to not to assign anyone to this task
for more than 4 hours/day because of the physical demands and repetitive
motions. A number of our students working on the task have rather liked
the physical workout and the opportunity to earn money without having to
dress nice or be formal. We also permit Walkmans while they are working.
It is important for a variety of people to tell the workers directly
that the work they are doing is important and appreciated. It can also
help to have mini-goals on which to focus celebrations and feelings of
accomplishment.

>>2. Has anyone linked condition surveying . . .<<

We haven't, and I'm inclined to recommend against it. Assigning too many
tasks to these workers just dilutes their main purpose. Of course they can
be trained to look out for urgent problems like mold or insects.

>>3. Does anyone use ordinary hand-held vacuums . . .<<

In my experience, vacuum cleaners of any kind are awkward to handle for
cleaning books in production mode. We use vacuum cleaners for gross
cleaning around the stacks (floors, behind where the books sat on the
shelves), but find cloths easier to use on the books themselves. (The
constant noise of a vacuum cleaner is pretty hard on the workers, too.) If
the dust is really thick on the heads you might devise a stand for a
vacuum cleaner nozzle into which the dust can be brushed.

Hope this helps. Contact me if I can provide further details.

Shannon Zachary				szachary@xxxxxxxxx
Conservation & Book Repair		313/763-6980 (phone)
University of Michigan Library		313/763-7886 (fax)
837 Greene St. / 3202 Buhr Bldg.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-1048