Fwd: stacks cleaning

I sent this directly to Lorraine, then thought the rest of the list might
want to see it.  K-State refers to Kansas State University in
Manhattan.   Jim

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 97 12:31:05 PST
From: masonjw
To: olley@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: stacks cleaning

Hi Lorraine!

Although I'm no longer there, a former co-worker contacted me
yesterday about a cleaning project K-State's Farrell
Library is about to undertake.  They're about to open a new building
and decided they might clear off some of the construction dust.  I
forwarded your note on to her (Diana Farmer).

While I was there, Farrell made one all-day attempt to do some
cleaning.  By that stage, I was already considered by them to be
pretty
much out of the picture, but I did give our building manager some
advice as to how to wipe books off -- not toward the spine, etc.  I
know
they used rags for the cleaning but no dust sprays.  All staff were to
take part in the cleaning project, but just as we were to begin a leak
due to the construction was discovered in the roof.  Two other
people
& I were reassigned to the wet books detail.

There was no condition survey attempted, but I did get some
disasters
as they were found on the shelves, along with some empty book
covers.

The group seemed to go about the project in an enthusiastic manner.

As I said, all staff were to be involved including the Dean.  Soon
afterwards, all involved received paper certificates acknowledging
their
good work (Farrell admin is *very* big on handing these things out).

Now you all have fun!

Jim Mason
San Francisco